in reply to Flattening Access DB to XML
MS Access stores all the tables and schema in a single .mdb file. It's more than possible that an OLE call exists to extract the schema by table. For example in ADO.Net, OleDbConnection.GetOleDbSchemaTable() method can be used to extract a schema.
you did not mention
- which os your using (implied by win32::odbc)
- assuming win32, what access drivers do you have?
- is the db encrypted? (no mention on site about this but could be a problem)
- what version of access files your using (mbt supports version 3/4)
- sql2xml.pl -sn myserver -driver myDriver -uid user -pwd seekrit -table user -output users.xml
here's a tute with code.method 2
last ditch effort (requires linux box) you could try mbdtool to tackle step 4. here's a brief description of how to generate the schema of a ms access file. (from cvs) It's license is LGPL but may have limited availablity on win32 (base install requires glib2).
- download/install mbtools on *nix box.
- follow description how to generate schema - read docs.
- use redirection to get results
read the discussion on Microsoft access database on a Linux server from php ('success on mdb tools odbc install' post by lauram) using the MDBTools ODBC driver. Any reason this can't be done using perl?