in reply to Not Everyone Likes Perl, I Guess
The big problem is Perl has gotten so identified with CGI. In fact it is used for many different things other than CGI. The last 5 things I did with Perl were:
- Convert a romanized representation of Sanskrit text to UTF-8.
- Talk to an XML-RPC based web service.
- Build a search engine for mail boxes.
- Convert documents in a proprietary format into DocBook XML spell checking them along the way.
- Write a version of the classic game 'trek'.
Only 3 involved CGI and that will probably move to modperl soon. Yet Perl eq CGI is indelibly locked-in to many peoples minds :(