after playing around a little with different scripts, and learning about the use of modules in perl, I added a line into your script to achieve my aim of creating a file importer.
The job is almost done.
It works fine, if I create the text file 'indexDS.txt' via perl. The problem I couldn't solve, is that, as soon as I change the text file by opening with notepad (windows), it crashes. I tried to implement ':encoding(utf8)'. Without success.
At least I managed to parse the original excel file (with all the IDs in the first coloumn) and convert it into a text file using encoding(utf8). But this converted text file doesn't work with this script. Anyhow, I am sure, it would be much nicer, if I could parse the CVS file directly into that script
Sorry, I can't get any further on my own.
P.S: This is what I added to your script
my $dirTarget = '/cygdrive/d/tmp/';
copy ($_, $dirTarget.basename ("$_")) for (@fnames);
The scripts works now! It was not the encoding, but the carriage return, which was included in the "bad" text file. Monk McA came up with reading the text file in a hex code. After stripping of the carriage return from each ID, the IDs could be handed over as regex into your code. And voilą, a couple of thousand files had been found and copied.