This is a fantastic example of Attack By Apology. We have all the attributes...
- Not recognizing that someone was hurt.
- Using the opportunity to inflict more hurt.
- Using the opportunity to drive the agenda behind their "joke".
- No showing of understanding.
- Treating the incident like a joke.
- No acceptance of responsibility for the consequences of their action.
- Attempted derailment.
- Claiming it's part of diversity to accept their attacks on others.
I'm glad the PerlMonks leadership has gotten involved and asked the author to respond, however they should have read it before they allowed it to be posted. It has given the offender another opportunity to attack.
I do not accept the author's response, it's just another attack. It underlines why the poll is not "just a joke" but is a hurtful reflection of the author's politics and philosophy. It does not belong on the front page of PerlMonks. It has nothing to do with Perl or Perl Wisdom.
I ask the PerlMonks leadership to take further public action.