|Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister|
Dispelling the Myth in The Outside Worldby dsb (Chaplain)
|on Apr 26, 2002 at 21:01 UTC||Need Help??|
Last week, trs80 posted a very thought provoking node called Autodidact. In it, many monks of high reputation(and even some of not so high reputation ;0) presented opinions that did one of two things:
Right now though, I am looking for work. Thankfully I'm not out of work, but I do feel trapped in my current job, and would love an opportunity to be able to grow as a programmer, and Perl developer. Unfortunately, the attitude towards autodicacts which pervades this community, does not seem to hold true in the "real world". I would have to say that about "80%" of the job descriptions I see, require a B.S. degree in Computer Science. The other 20% want someone with 7-10 years of industry experience.
I understand that this could have a lot to do with the job market being as tight as it currently is. I understand that now it is the companies that can afford to be picky with the talent they hire. BUT, I don't understand why these companies would want to completely disconnect from the pretty large number of programmers who have gotten where they are through motivation and hard work(read: this is not to say compsci grads did not work hard).
I can only guess that the most of the people creating jobs, or doing the hiring are out of touch with the fact that there are many competent, even highly talented, and DEFINITELY intelligent programmers out there who are just as capable as Joe College.
This is an extremely frustrating situation to me. I am always reading, learning, practicing, taking on projects just to get better. I love to learn, I welcome a challenge, and I am almost always successful in my efforts to complete a task. And yet, I feel like I'm on a pay-no-mind list because the letters "B.S." don't follow my name.
Please understand, this is not meant to be a jab at college graduates. I humbly apologize if it is coming across that way. I would take the word of most people on this site over my own any day with regards to programming. My issue is this:
Maybe its me. Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe I give myself too much credit. I dont' know. If I'm whining tell me to shut up. And don't be nice about it.
Sorry to rant.