in reply to difficulty using CPAN.pm
I'd advise making sure that you can build and install modules manually before using CPAN.pm. Try going thru the following steps:
- Download the gzip file for a module that you want from CPAN. Initially go for a pure-Perl module like the latest version of CGI.pm.
- Unzip and untar the file.
- Run thru the standard installation steps investigating any errors that you see:
- perl Makefile.PL
- make test
- make install
- Having successfully installed a pure Perl module, try it again with a XS-based module like HTML::Parser.
- Once you've successfully built both types of module, try them again using CPAN.pm.
European Perl Conference - Sept 22/24 2000, ICA, London