Ah! I only just got my 5.8.1 to build, so I haven't had chance to try it out there yet. Someone did mention that the p5p guys were working on a fix when this came up before, but that was way back before 5.8 was released and it was one of the first things I checked for in 5.8 but was disappointed. Once I've convinced myself that my build of 5.8.1 is reasonably safe to use, that will allow me to finish off a module that was almost ready for release 6 months ago.
It appears the fix just made it into the wild. Thanks, its nice to know, and my apologies for casting aspersions.
Examine what is said, not who speaks.
"Efficiency is intelligent laziness." -David Dunham
"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." -Richard Buckminster Fuller