There seems to be an implicit "friendliness" to perl and the perl community.
I think this is a surprisingly large part of the perl mind-set.
It seems to be exuded from several sources:
in reply to RE: I have contributed a module to CPAN
in thread I have contributed a module to CPAN
- humour in the docs/man pages
- the non-judgemental syntax ("There's more than 1 way to do it.")
- well-known personalities (Larry, TomC, ...)
- helpful user community (like perlmonks, and comp.lang.perl.*)
- The funny-looking camel theme