good chemistry is complicated,
and a little bit messy -LW
Re: We are the logisticians of informationby freddo411 (Chaplain)
|on Jul 09, 2004 at 18:01 UTC||Need Help??|
I think that "Solid, unshifting requirements" would be analogous to perfect intellegence. Nice to have, but it doens't work that way in the real world. However, one should always try to get as close to it as possible lest you end up fighting the wrong war, or the war wrong.
I really like the metaphor of IS/IT as logistics. It is very difficult to program well if one doesn't have good basic supporting infrastructure:
* A developement box
* A UAT environment that is a good copy of production
* A seperate production box
* Backups and version control software.
* Testing (as mentioned in parent threads)
* Shared software libs
* Installation tools
* Good software tools
* Good information and UI design
* Good documenation for your products
* Good human resource management
* Good project management
* Good Strategic management
If you fail to provide these things to your 'troops' (aka programmers) then they will be less effective. Provide these things and you have a force multiplier.