I just stumbled upon Cache::Memcached, which looks very interesting for use in load-balanced web applications. Before starting my own experiments with it, I thought I'd ask the Monastery about their experiences with memcached.
I am wondering
- how much slower it is versus an in-process-memory cache (which probably differs for small and large data)
- how much slower it is versus shared memory
- if it makes sense to use it for HTML::Template's cache (replacing in-memory or shared memory)
- if it is possible to share data between languages (say Perl and Java) -- probably not, seeing that it uses Storable
- how reliable people have found it to be
- any caveats you need to be aware of