in reply to
Template::Toolkit, look-and-feel and internationalization
We set up the language translation recently with TT -- here's how we did it (I'm not by any means claiming this is _THE_ way to do it.. not good or bad, just A way) (also, this wasn't too exciting because it was just for english-US vs english-UK):
- Went through all the templates and wrapped all the text in a FILTER tag. So from: <div>Hello</div> to: <div>[% FILTER localize %]Hello[% END %]</div>
- localize is setup in our custom TT modules. It bascially takes the text and treats it as a primary key. It gets the current locale from httpd.conf. Now, if it can find in a database table a value for that pk for that locale, it uses that. Otherwise it just returns the original text.
- Had to populate these new locale tables with some translations.
I'm sure there's lots of pros and cons to be gleaned from the above, but keep in mind it was made for our more limited case..