|XP is just a number|
Re: [OT] General bad habits and characteristics (non programming).by bofh_of_oz (Hermit)
|on Jun 23, 2005 at 13:58 UTC||Need Help??|
I have most of the same bad habits, and am in the process of (trying to) getting rid of them. Here's my two cents:
- Too much soda: remember, the gas bubbles in pop (that's how it's called in America) drinks irritate the walls of your stomach, thereby making you feel hungry, which in turn makes you eat more often and in the end gain weight. Getting obsessed with your weight will create the motivation not to drink that stuff... Switch to juices, they're good and healthy <grin>
- Late snacks: very hard to get rid of... the fruits don't help after a while - you eat them and still feel hungry. I use nutrition bars - they have carbs I want, they taste good (well, the ones I buy do) and they are better for health than regular junk food...
- Exercise: again, weight obsession helps... you can also make a little set of exercises for about 10-15min and do it in the morning, before you do your daily stuff... after a while you notice that your body feels better when you do it than when you skip the exercises (and it really does). You can ask your significant other to help boost your motivations - women are *very* creative about that...
- Avoidance: well, that one I cannot get rid of so far... it helps to structure the time and know exactly how long it would take me to do this or that, but generally, you need to develop willpower and make/convince yourself to do things that should be done.
- Motivation: similar treatment as with avoidance, with one addition: since you can change your life to your liking, change it so that most things you have to do are interesting to do, thereby you'll have motivation to do them...
Disclaimer: Those are just general guidelines and cannot be used as instructions since they do not always work even in my case ;)