|Don't ask to ask, just ask|
Re^2: [OT] General bad habits and characteristics (non programming).by bofh_of_oz (Hermit)
|on Jun 23, 2005 at 14:27 UTC||Need Help??|
We all have our bad habits... You can try to get rid of them, or you can try to change them slightly into more enjoyable form... Like this:
- Getting pissy when someone breaking your concentration: Make a poster-sized sign "I'm working. Distracting me costs the company and yourself. Come back later". Trust me, it works, most of the time
- Reading in the tub: put some epsom salts and essential oils (lavender, rose, rosemarine). Make the time useful for the body as well...
- Doing your boss's work/apologizing for things: make sure your duties and working hours are clearly stated in written form, print them out and put on cubicle/office/whatever wall for everyone to see; refer to it every time you're forced to do something else. If you're on contract, it works immediately; if you're not, it will take time (if it doesn't, you shouldn't be working here, unless you love this particular job at this particular company...)
- Filling self-eval as terrible: don't be shy - it doesn't make your life easier and can be seen as lack of self-confidence. Say you're perfect and let *tem* prove it different...
- Wearing high heels: unless you're four feet high, it doesn't make a difference. Trust me: people on the street won't remember you after a minute; as for the others, you shouldn't care as your height is not one of the qualities they should care about...
- Your view on marriage and children: let's check on that again in a few years <grin>
In general, don't try to keep the world running all by yourself - this is never appreciated (my own bad experience)... Let people do their mistakes, just make sure it doesn't affect you when they get burned.
P.S. Sorry about intruding if you didn't really need an advice... couldn't stop myself from trying to help, that's one of my bad habits :)