in reply to
Re: Seeking help learning Catalyst -- the obvious links left me befuddled
in thread Seeking help learning Catalyst -- the obvious links left me befuddled
So, I played around with Catalyst for just over 3 hours yesterday.
I was pleasantly suprised how quickly I was able to tie in my own CDBI stuff and make a CRUD screen.
Next up is porting a small piece of a internal webapp to catalyst -- I'll post comments on how that goes, along with any observations about stumbling blocks and/or 'wow!' moments.
Minor startup / documentation
quibbles: it would've been easier if...
- the movies had voice-over soundtrack (english would be helpful for me!)
- the movies provided context -- "here's what we're going to do and why"
- the docs made it clearer which part of the helper scripts were essential, vs. just fast scaffolding
- the docs made it clear you could indeed park these dirs anywhere -- until you bring apache into the picture, the bundlded server means no apache config, no apache dirs, etc. i didn't get that at first.
- the docs didn't note there was a Mason scaffolding module, just referencing TT (the default) and HTML:Template.
- Would've liked more in the cookbook on authentication
- Wasn't clear if the best way to structure a major web app is one Catalyst tree (App, App.pm, etc), or whether each major subcomponent should be its own tree
- I found the wiki subsite (the old homepage?) http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/
hard to make sense of...
- I liked these doc links: http://search.cpan.org/dist/Catalyst/lib/Catalyst/Manual.pod
- The docs were stronger on the M and V then on the C -- I couldn't find doc sample code on controllers and still have some vagueness on the concept...
Anyway, high praise from someone who's a couple hours into catalyst. Results encouraging enuff to forge ahead!