in reply to
(OT troll) New Section: PHP
An interesting idea, but totally idiotic reasoning behind it.
- 1) Perl is not becoming corporate controlled.
- 2) Even if it did, I'm not sure that would be bad. At least we'd have Perl 6 out within a year of MegaCorp taking it over.
- 3) Perl is GPL'ed so it can't become corporate controlled. At the very least you can fork the code.
- 4) PHP has a very specific purpose, database-driven interactive websites.
- 5) PHP fails pretty miserably when trying to do anything other than its specific purpose.
- 6) The PHP Open Source Development Team is not a group to emulate (just look at how they treat the OCIEnvNlsCreate() failed bug, I've been hit by bug too, but since they've decided to label it bogus there isn't any point to me reporting it again especially after how they treated that guy.)
A PHP section or even a phpmonks community, could be very useful. PHP is my language of choice for web development. However there are a number of times where I need to make it play nicely with Perl. There are also other times where Perl would be a better choice. A section that discusses when (not) to use Perl and how to interact with other languages might be nice section. However perlmonks should remain primarily perl. This site should not become the "How to convert all your perl to php" site.
Given that we don't see many questions here about converting stuff to or from PHP, I don't think we need a new section. Also since your reasons are completely loony, I'm going to have to -- your post. Congrats this is the first time in a number of months that I've actually found something in Worst Nodes section that belonged there.