Here's my latest effort, it's pure perl, so should run anywhere.
It is parametised so it will take the number of boxes in the output as an argument in the form:
# perl blah.pl 19x20
(19x20 is the default)
This will produce a variable sized file (default is normally around 6Mb) called al.XXX (where XXX would reveal the surprise) in the directory from which it is run
(that's supposed to be a clapboard btw!)
If there is enough interest i'll write a deobfuscation/explanation of what went into it,
I've written a clean version here.
In the meantime some of my references and some other notes are in the spoiler below:
I've tested the output in windows media player and mplayer (on windows and linux), however i couldn't get it working with winamp - i tried to fix it, but i'm not entirely sure it's not winamp.
- the data is generated by a hacked up version of this
- BMP file format
- I used tachyon's post here to remind me a bit about packing and to explore bmp file headers
- An excellent reference on the avi format can be found here
I hope you all enjoy it.
update: Add link to explanation.
Also use V not L (see this) to force correct endianness - this should now work on mac's
and fixed a bug where it didn't work for 5.8.8