in reply to
Fuel for the Perl vs PHP fire
Before anything else I would like to say that I'm a Perl Programer, and that Perl is my elected language. I'm expecting Perl6, and code handreds of Perl lines every day.
However, I know also enought PHP to see that NOW, PHP have things where it beats Perl. Let's be realists:
- PHP 5 object syntax is VERY good;
- There are thousands of complete aplications in PHP, ready to use;
- Almost every hosting solution suports PHP;
- Everyone thinks PHP is easy to learn, so everyone try it.
On the other hand:
- PHP don't have scope;
- Most aplication are direct to the point, and most are not easy to adapt to a similar (but not equal) situation
- Secutiry in PHP is weak
- Almost all PHP newbies could be Perl newbies if it was Perl that everyone thoght it was simple
- We are (all?) grateful it isn't, this way Perl code is more secure, more complete and more flexible
But, any way, I think we need more aplication written in Perl, specially ready to use aplications (specially for web, where We have very good resources/workbases, like ModPerl, Catalyst, Mason, and a lot of others).