Thanks for the tip. Since posting that snippet and poking around gmax's stuff I've learned a few things that I know I could have used in the past (and probably will in the future)
in reply to Re: DBI bind output vars by column name
in thread DBI bind output vars by column name
However, the code I wrote was to solve a different sort of problem. Because of the mapping, I can pass $bound_fields directly to the node_create() method of an object to create a fully-populated object without calling a whole bunch of setters.
Also, since the script this code is in is used on several systems, querying several databases, the $RESULT_MAP is actually built from a config file to accommodate creating the same type of objects from tables with several different schemas.