Is there a way of reading the file and printing each name with the smallest number next to it?
Though, it seems you forgot to post the code you've worked on. I won't assume you wanted someone else to write it for you, so I'll give you some places to look. Then when you have some code that you have written, and have a problem you can ask a question here. (right after you read this)
- Go take a look at open about reading the file
- Look at foreach loops to go over the lines in the file
- Look at split to get the number and name
- Read about Hashes(associative arrays) to store your results
- perlop will tell you how to evaluate 'less than'
- And finally reading print will show you how to print your results