Is there a way of reading the file and printing each name with the smallest number next to it?
in reply to extract only smallest numbers
Though, it seems you forgot to post the code you've worked on. I won't assume you wanted someone else to write it for you, so I'll give you some places to look. Then when you have some code that you have written, and have a problem you can ask a question here. (right after you read this)
- Go take a look at open about reading the file
- Look at foreach loops to go over the lines in the file
- Look at split to get the number and name
- Read about Hashes(associative arrays) to store your results
- perlop will tell you how to evaluate 'less than'
- And finally reading print will show you how to print your results