What does SoPW mean?
A (New) Guide to PerlMonks Abbreviations and Jargon
If you've seen an acronym/abbreviation on PerlMonks
and you don't know the meaning of it, see if you can
find it here.
This list includes only those terms which are Perl- or PerlMonks-specific.
Monks do, of course, use most of the conventional "net-speak" phrases, abbreviations, emoticons, etc., so
if the term you're looking for is not in the above list, consult the very
exhaustive NetLingo dictionary.
For an in-depth exploration of geek/hacker jargon, visit the venerable Jargon File.
- .oO( ... ) represents a thought bubble, that is, thinking a thought, as in cartoons.
- AM = Anonymous Monk
- CB = the Chatterbox
- CUFP = Cool Uses for Perl
- FP = Front Page
- Front Page = The Monastery Gates. As a verb, it refers to an aspect of moderation.
- FPC = Full Page Chat
- HAZNAV = "Hazard to Navigation". This refers to a certain class of bad node titles.
- NN = Newest Nodes
- NTC = Nodes to consider. See What is consideration?
- OP = "Original Post", i.e. the root post in a given thread. By extension, can stand for "Original Poster", the author of the root post. (Also "Original Postulant")
- OT = Off Topic
- PerlMonks = this here web site. See the FAQ, What is PerlMonks? We sometimes call this "the Monastery". Would you like to go to our Front Page, The Monastery Gates?
- PM = PerlMonks
- PMD = PerlMonks Discussion, the section for discussing the PerlMonks site itself. Major changes to the site are often announced there. (All changes are announced in Tidings.)
- RAT = Recently Active Threads
- SIOB = Saints in our Book
- SoPW = Seekers of Perl Wisdom, the section for asking and answering general Perl questions. A form for asking a new Perl question can be found at the bottom of that page. (Be sure to read Posting on PerlMonks before posting!)
- XP = eXperience Points. See Voting/Experience System