I know it's kind of off-topic, but I think this thread has everything that should make a Perl hacker feel good about the world.
- Someone who wants to contribute to and improve existing code
- Someone who wrote code in the past that was good enough to elicit interest from another who wants to help maintain and improve it
- An earnest, honest, respectful process for seeking this responsibility and privilege
- The new code passes the old code's own unit tests!
- An appeal to the community, who gladly offers it's help and advice
- The old hacker is found, and apprentices the new hacker
OK, it's an embellishment, but I'm a believer in Perl (the community) even on the days when nothing seems to be working.
I laughed, I cried... It moved me, Bob. :^D