in reply to "Practices and Principles" to death
A few thoughts:
- Shit happens. There is absolutely no way to prevent all badnesses, period. That's why we have insurance.
- Failures sometimes happen through lack of enforcement, not lack of procedures.
- The procedure that requires a new procedure for every failure is, itself, a failure.
- If the loss of a single satellite is such a major disaster, then maybe making satellites should be made cheaper. I personally like working in industries where a 1-5% failure rate is not only expected, but hoped for.
My criteria for good software:
- Does it work?
- Can someone else come in, make a change, and be reasonably certain no bugs were introduced?