Yes, I did not say anything about the network shares, because I am confident they are not my bottleneck (they aren't low bandwidth). I've benchmarked scanning a 2000 file folder on a local hd vs one on one of the remote shares and the remote share took about .5sec longer on avg.
The database, unfortunately is not the problem either. Getting the actual data into the DB can be done outside the weekend window. So I can just start LOADing the temp files after the scan completes. Though I'd like to do it concurrently if at all possible.
I've recently tried running the DB and regexp part of the script on another machine and this did not solve the CPU issue. I've also tried simply disabling those parts of the script with the same effect.
Currently I'm back at the original issue I created this post with, and looking for other ways to implement the multithreaded queue based behavior.
in reply to Re^3: Multithreaded Script CPU Usage
in thread Multithreaded Script CPU Usage
Thank you though, for helping me think this through.