Suggestions for additional evaluation criteria (most don't even require installation -- just links from search.cpan.org)
- What does the version history look like? have there been multiple versions or just one?
- Does it have any reviews? are the comments positive?
- When browsing the source tree, are there many tests?
- What do the test result stats look like? have people with your architecture and perl version gotten test failures?
- Is it in the phalanx? what do it's coverage stats look like?
- Are there robust perldocs?
- What dependencies does it have?
- What is the percentage of unresolved bugs on rt.cpan.org? (don't consider it a negative if there are no bugs at all, it might not be used)
- Does it have a mailing list with public archives? is there a healthy amount of traffic on that list?