good chemistry is complicated,
and a little bit messy -LW
namespace::clean and "Unknown Error"by jasonk (Parson)
|on Feb 16, 2009 at 18:41 UTC||Need Help??|
jasonk has asked for the
wisdom of the Perl Monks concerning the following question:
I've been having a lot of problems lately with "Unknown Error" getting reported rather than the actual error message. Since it started at roughly the time I upgraded to 5.10, I figured it was some strange 5.10/OS X issue, and since it was occurring in a project that has a gigantic code base, it took me a while to track it down. Turns out it's actually something related to namespace::clean that is causing the problem.
I've managed to narrow it down to this minimal test case, but I haven't had any luck in figuring out why this is occuring...
I'm simply running this code from the command line like so:
If you remove the call to 'use namespace::clean', this is the output (which is what I would expect)
However, when using namespace::clean, the output becomes:
Obviously this makes it very difficult to find bugs when it isn't even reporting which file the error was in when loading up hundreds of modules for a very large application. I realize namespace::clean is doing some pretty heavy magic, but I'd hate to give it up considering how tremendously useful it is.
We're not surrounded, we're in a target-rich environment!