I just want to mention that (possibly due to having later version(s) of some component(s)) I did get WWW::Selenium working using just "*firefox" as the browser setting. I did create a custom firefox profile in c:/selenium/firefox (which is still necessary due to one of the server startup options below), and at first used "*custom firefox..." like you had, but every time I started the Selenium server and launched Firefox, I had to create an exception for the SSL certificate (even with -trustAllSSLCertificates, and for some reason, I could not get "*firefox" working at first). Then I went back to using "*firefox", and everything worked! The only slightly annoying thing is that everytime Firefox starts, I get the add-on popup window with the message "3 new add-ons have been installed" ... not sure how to suppress that...have been looking for likely suspects.
UPDATE: Actually, now I don't even need the -firefoxProfileTemplate or the -trustAllSSLCertificates options below, and I don't get the Add-on popup window. Also, I found the command to shutdown the Selenium RC server ('stop' only shuts Firefox down...do_command('shutDown') shuts the server down - and "do_command()" is undocumented AFAICT).
Update: shutDown changed to shutDownSeleniumServer in newer versions of Selenium.
I did add some options to the selenium server startup. Here is what the beginning of my program looks like:
# The first argument "1" is to make this run in the background
# and not block on Windows. You would of course do this
# differently on a *nix or other system.
my $base = "https://xxxxx.xxxxx";
my $url = "$base/login/login.asp";
my $sel = WWW::Selenium->new(
host => 'localhost',
port => 4444,
browser => "*firefox",
# browser => '*custom firefox -no-remote -profile c:/selenium/firefo
browser_url => $base,
#And at the end...