Hi, Curious if this ever got resolved.. I'm having the same issues.
I decided to do an uninstall of 5.10.1 (I'm on Vista). When I started to do the uninstall, I noticed there were both 5.10.0 and 5.10.1 listed as installed. So I uninstalled both, and reinstalled 5.10.0. No problems after that.
Not sure if this ever got solved, best info I could find was recompile.
I uninstalled perl, downloaded and installed Activestate 5.10.1 build 1007
Then I Installed MinGW
Then downloaded source for:
for each I ran the make / install steps using dmake (NOT NMAKE)
Had a couple test failures (nothing major I dont think)
Everything worked afterwords. Quite well actually, compiles seemed faster than before.
Running on Windows XP also.