in reply to
What level of existential comfort do you require?
I'm not sure I can adequately relate to the term "require." I've witnessed enough poverty (both in the US and abroad) that I have a hard time justifying a requirement for more than
- clean drinking water, and sufficient food to meet my nutritional requirements
- sufficient space to successfully obtain a full-night's sleep
- comfortable temperature, possibly accomplished through bedding or at least a decent climate
- clean sanitary facilities (latrine, bathing)
- some method for keeping the insects and reptiles away while I sleep.
This would probably leave me in better accommodations than a large percentage of the world population.
Having said that, if we're talking about the amount required to be satisfied, I'd probably bump those requirements up slightly and add
- a source of positive social interaction, and
- high-speed internet access
to the list.