I wasn't aware that Module::Build was such a problem on Windows. I do very little development on windows (basically just a small amount of debugging) and hadn't encountered that problem.
Don't waste your time doing a manual install... with over 900 timezone modules in Date::Manip, that wouldn't be a good use of your time. Instead, I have created a new bundle which uses Makefile.PL instead and put it at:
As a side note, the reason that Date::Manip currently uses Build.pl is that it gave me the flexibility to test what version of perl was running and then install either version 5 or version 6 of Date::Manip (Date::Manip 6 requires perl 5.10 or higher). I just threw away version 5 for the temporary bundle I created for you, so I didn't need that flexibility.
I was planning on changing this however. After playing with this for a few versions, I've decided that I want to simply install both versions for everyone and then have Date::Manip be a wrapper to load the appropriate version. This will mean being able to go back to providing both a Build.PL and Makefile.PL. This planned change was a bit lower on my priority list, but given your previous message, it has jumped up much higher, and I'm going to try to include that in the next release.