good chemistry is complicated,
and a little bit messy -LW
"Free to wrong pool" error.by davido (Archbishop)
|on Oct 09, 2011 at 21:53 UTC||Need Help??|
davido has asked for the
wisdom of the Perl Monks concerning the following question:
A student I know asked me to help him find a bug in a C++ program that was using a brute force approach to finding all primes between 1 and n. The problem wasn't hard to find, and not very interesting. But with a few spare minutes on a Sunday I rewrote his C++ program using "C'ish Perl", and in so doing seem to have stumbled into a real bug.
Here's an example of the initial Perl code, which is almost an exact literal translation of the C++ code, and which DOES NOT exhibit the bad behavior:
The C++ version:
...and that worked fine; no bad behavior. Then I decided to look at it without a flag, by labeling the outer loop and using "next LABEL" to short circuit to it. Here is an example:
After watching numbers scroll past me for a few moments I hit CTRL-C (windows console), and was surprised to get an error message from the "this shouldn't happen" category:
I ran it a few other times. Sometimes there was no problem. Sometimes the output from the end of the run had a bunch of "line noise" after the last prime. And a couple times it said, "Panic..." with a similar error message.
This post isn't about how to efficiently generate primes, or how to write such code elegantly. I'll be the first to admit this is a C-ish style approach, and the algorithm used is dumb brute force.
The question is, does anyone know why there's an error occurring here? The errors generated really are in the category of errors that we shouldn't see. Since I can't produce it on 100% of the runs, I don't know how to wrap it all in a test that would demonstrate the bug reliably. If I could at least generate it 100% of the time (and without requiring the intervention of "CTRL-C" keyboard input) I might be able to send in a meaningful bug report.
Update: A couple of responses (as well as my own testing on Linux) have led me to believe this problem is not going to manifest itself on Linux. While I haven't heard from any Mac users, I suspect this is a problem only under a Windows environment. Whether or not it's limited to Strawberry Perl, or only to version 5.12.3, I don't know yet.