Thank you very much for your advice (and everyone else's).
I did realise the nature of the 'laugh' comment and agree that most admins have to deal with idiots in everyday dealings.!!
I have managed to find the problem thanks to all of you assisting... I had uploaded the file with a 644 permission (no execute option) so re-uploaded the file with the correct 755 permissions to enable the server to execute it.
I have not been able to use the new file though (I have a further learning curve to enable this to be used in the future...)
Once again, thank you all for replying with so many options so quickly and enabling me to fix this issue, albeit with the previous file.
I will return and try to learn more about perl to not only increase my working knowledge but also to enable me to build without breaking.! :-)