- Perl is fast ( which is the easiest thing to say
- Perl comes with a huge library 3rd party files - the CPAN
- Perl has many build in unix-like commands like chdir, link, unlink, chmod, etc.
- Textual files are processed like a child`s play
- Perl is easier to understand than Ruby or Python, even though it`s syntax is a bit different
Well, my arguments were the things I found useful and the things I like in Perl, not that there might be the same in other langyages, I know not of. He replied with:
- Perl is hardly OOP, not an easy like Java, Py/Rb or PHP
- Regex is not bind to Perl, every language has a regex functionality. A regex excellence is not a good argument.
So, I step aside, since arguing for languages instead for approach is ridiculous. There is a programming approach, not a programming language. You chooshe the best for you. But, I am asking the expert monks here, the ones with knowledge in many languages to give me some arguments - why Perl. Not the trivial explanations that Amazon uses it, and it`s been around 30 years... It`s a technical reference, the way it surpass other languages. Why it beats python, what Perl has that others don`t and why Perl is worthy to learn, beside a SH successor.