Times, they are a-chaingin', but are the tools?
I recently asked tobyink about his opinion on this topic, but I thought it also made sense to pose this question to everyone in the community:
If you had to name the 10 most essential tools you use as a Perl developer -- the 10 utilities you wouldn't ever want to work without, what would they be? Now I'm asking about utilities specifically. Stating that CPAN and the Perl community are essential is an obvious understatement, but I'm asking for a list of things more like your software tool suite, such as komodo, padre, eclipse, a good irc client for example...
For me, the list isn't exhaustive; I'm not even sure if I have 10. But what about you?
My list currently includes (in no particular order)
- My Reference Manuals and (e)books
- Revision control (I use git, moving away from subversion)
- ExtUtils::MakeMaker / Dist::Zilla
- A test suite; right now it's simply Test.pm, which will likely become something else soon. I'm evaluating my options here.
- Debian is the operating system I develop on; it works the best for me. I use Windows 7+Strawberry Perl for testing (and backing up my DVDs)
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||