Many of the words in the so-called $prepositions list are NOT prepositions so the var name is poorly chosen; the more so since your code also faults the words' use at the end of a sentence. But (oops, I started a sentence with a preposition. Uh, no, it's a conjunction. That's still contrary to some of the so-called "best standards" but.... ah well.
) let's look first at some of those words used first in a sentence:
- About 30% of all code is garbage.
- Beyond the hills lies the ocean.
- Following the calves were the wolves.
The last can be faulted for not using clearer construction, but passes muster for any strict test of grammar. The second is easy enough to defend at poetic, at worst and the first is a legitmate use of the passive voice to stress the asserted percentage.
As to ending sentences with your "prepositions," try this:
- "The bowl is 9 inches across."
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||