i'm forking about 1 process every second.
continuously?! surely not?!!... perhaps you should post the code?
if divide and conquer is not applicable then i have one other suggestion:
- open a local UNIX socket/pipe
- fork a predefined set of children (say, 8), have each of the children open a DBI handle to mysql
- set up the parent process to loop over your insert data spooling it to the socket that the children are all listening to/blocking on; meanwhile each of children are blocking in the $server->accept() call waiting for the parent to send them data
- upon reading a chunk of data, enter the insert routine and loop back to the accept
- continue until parent runs out of data
an example of this approach (a pre-forking server, like apache) is in the perl cookback in the chapter on sockets or IPC, though i don't have the book in front of me at the moment, so can't give specific recipe.
but you're probably right; unless you're loading >1Gb of data (which does or does not need transformation prior to insert), it's probably fast enough. ;-)
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||