Its great to see that the option to 'Win the Lottery' is coming last (at the moment). I guess the altruism probably comes with the open source movement.
Really? I thought it was because most people here understand how probability works :)
The lottery is basically a tax on the poor. Publicising people who win makes millions dream it could be them. What about publicising things that have a higher chance of happening to you. Every year the odds of certain events happening to you:
- being struck by lightening and killed (4,210,857 to 1)
- being electricuted (550,382 to 1)
- dying while flying in air/space transport (250,032 to 1)
- dying as the result of a fall (17,702 to 1)
- dying in a motor accident (6,078 to 1)
Whereas the odds of winning the jackpot in the California Super Lotto Jackpot (for example), are about 18,000,000 to 1.
Sanity Check - what a bummer, eh?
Update: To clarify, those stats above are per year, but the lotto odds are per entry, so they are a little screwy, but you get the idea :)
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||