I think my first meeting with Perl was a glancing shot in some high tech magazine -- some guy had an encryption algorithm tatooed on his arm. The algorithim was expressed in Perl. The question below the photo was, could he leave the United States, because that could be construed as exporting munitions?
Well, that was a long walk (as Johnny Carson would say), but that meant I had pigeon-holed Perl as a language like APL -- very complex, and only brilliant people attempt it.
After I'd been into Perl for a few years I found the comp.lang.perl.misc newsgroup -- that cured me of the 'only brilliant people' part. And, yes, it is complex, much more complex than the components of C (from where I got to Perl) but that's OK.
So why use Perl?
- It lets me get the job done.
- It allows me lots of different ways to say something.
- It allows me to be modular.
- I can format it like C, a language I used for most of my careere, and that's nice.
- It allows me to be Object Oriented.
- It runs on many different platforms.
- The user community is terrific.
Life is short: get busy!
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||