In no particular order, here are some of my thoughts:
- I have a sister who is a nurse. In training she was told that every year about 30% of what she was taught would be revised and need to be relearned. She tells me that she didn't believe it then, but she does now since that is about what has happened since. So the problem of knowledge going stale does not just happen in computers.
- I have always had a pretty good ability to pick factoids up. I wasn't always able to judge their accuracy. I have a brother who took it on himself to fix that, any time I repeated something he would make me figure out where I heard that and say whether I think that is a reliable source. It wasn't any fun, but it became a habit that has served me well. So the next time I spout some tidbit, ask me where I learned it, and when I respond, imagine me being lectured by my brother, "Now, Benny, you can't just believe everything you hear..."
- The need to be able to accept ongoing feedback reminds me of what I was getting at in What you refuse to see, is your worst trap.
- I hadn't realized that I had raised the point which started your post, but if you wish to credit me with good thoughts you had while reading something I wrote... ;-)
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
Outside of code tags, you may need to use entities for some characters:
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||