Here are the requirements I was given...
The goal of the program is to count the occurrences of all words in a file, and write this count into a new file.
- The input file will contain 1 word per line (lines will be terminated by the newline character), and the file will contain an arbitrary number or lines.
- The file will be terminated by an end of file character.
- The word count must be case insensitive, as there may be varying case throughout the file.
- The output file must write each word once, and include the number of occurrences of that word on the same line.
- The lines in the output file must be sorted in ascending order.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||