Thanks for all this Tye, it looks really good. But while you've a finger stirring the Voting/XP Pot, can I make a couple of suggestions:
- No front page voting
- Take the ability to ++ or -- off the front page. That way you have to actually be interested enough in a post that you have to follow it to a page with replies before you can vote either way. I know I used to vote occasionally on the front page, only to follow the thread to the replies and wish I'd not voted as I did. For example the front page tells of a great discovery. I think 'that's a great idea'. I ++ it and then read onto the replies only to discover wiser monks have torn it to shreds!
- Reduced votes across the board
- With so many monks, it it necessary to have so many votes per monk? I rarely, if ever, use my total allocation, but I do read a fair bit of what goes on. Someone else, on the other hand may not read too much but will throw their votes around just to use them up, thus voting on things they don't really care two hoots about. Decreased supply means an increase in value.
- Show reputation as Reputation: 40 - 30 = 10
- This will tell me a lot more than just learning that the post has a reputation of 10. It tells me that nearly half the voters didn't like the node. Thus I'll re-read the post and the thread to see what I might have missed.
- Allow a 00 vote on a node
- This is not the same as not voting. This means "I'm neither here nor there on this one, but I'm interested in what other people think". Once you cast a 00 vote you'd see the reputation but you can't (obviously) then change it to a ++ or --.
- When a -- is given, ask the voter why
- When I -- something, I often would like to drop a quick note to explain. But I'd like to do it privately and annonymously. So, rather than logging out and posting publically as AnnonyMonk or posting privately but as myself via the chatterbox, I'd like to leave a message tied to the node (just under the Reputation) that only the poster can read
- View a history of a node's reputation
- Maybe only for one's own posts, or maybe for any post, I'd like to see an indication of change. I'd like to be able to sort my nodes by activity date. This would mean I'd see that a post I made a year ago just made someone happy. I used to have a bot that logged in each day and retrieved the rep of all my nodes and would tell me what happened to any that changed. Would be good if the site could do that
Thats my $0.02. Thanks for reading. Thanks for the work Tye.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||