Let's get one thing out of the way first - the single largest speed boost for Perl web applications is mod_perl. Everything else is second.
My rules of thumb for using templates are:
- If I intend on making more than two changes to any part of the system in the next year, I will want templates.
- If I ever want to output the same page in more than one format, I will use templates.
- If I ever want to support more than one language, I will use templates.
- If I ever want to have someone else working on the same project, I will use templates.
In other words, I will not use templates if:
- I will never make any changes
- I will only ever use one format
- I will only ever use one language
- I will be the only person to ever work on this
In other words, I have never seen a reason to avoid templates. :-)
Being right, does not endow the right to be rude; politeness costs nothing.
Being unknowing, is not the same as being stupid.
Expressing a contrary opinion, whether to the individual or the group, is more often a sign of deeper thought than of cantankerous belligerence.
Do not mistake your goals as the only goals; your opinion as the only opinion; your confidence as correctness. Saying you know better is not the same as explaining you know better.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
Outside of code tags, you may need to use entities for some characters:
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||