A couple more for you (with merlyn's clarification), based on what I've learned over the years:
- Never use programs from Matt's Script Archive? (technically, this goes into the whole 'never run something without understanding what it's doing' category)
- Never assume that a file/socket/db handle/whatever opened successfully
- Never write your own CGI parsing routines without a really good reason to avoid CGI or CGI::Lite
- Never use the single argument form of exec or system
- Never test for taint by looking for known bad characters. (instead, look if there are any characters that aren't known to be good).
- Never pass input to exec or system without first checking for taint.
- Never assume that e-mail happens immediately, or reliably.
- Never trust a Sicilian when death is on the line
- Never waste time optimizing your code before you know where the real bottlenecks are. (see Optimization: Your Worst Enemy and Premature Opmization)
- Never assume that what you're writing is going to be short lived (unless you delete it immediately after writing it).
- Never forget the importance of descriptive, unambiguous variable, function, and package names, or the importance of comments and documentation
I'll probably have more to add later....
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
Outside of code tags, you may need to use entities for some characters:
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||