Forget brute force, using logic to try to create a hand that has no points:
- All 10, J, Q, K's are eliminated
- Because 6+9=15 and 7+8=15, we may only take one from each group above 5
ie. 6 & 8, 7 & 9 or 8 & 9. 6 & 7 gives a three card run.
- This means we MUST use at least 2 cards less than 5.
- A, 2, no 3, that would be a 3 card run, 4, 5
can't have a 6, 6+4=10, or 7, 7+2+A=10, or 8, or 9 for same reasons. Dead end.
- 2, 3, no 4, 5, 6 ok, no 8 allowed, nor 7. Dead end.
- A, 3, 5, 8, --> Dead end.
- A, 4, 5, 7, --> Dead end.
- 2, 4, 5, 7, no 9, 9+2+4=15. Dead end.
this elminates all possible hands.
Update: L~R beat me to what this essentially boils down to up in this node posted just before I'd managed to finish mine.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||