In the course of my Perl career, I went from complete and awful newbie (think Matt's Script Archive level) to being fairly competent. I was able to write maintainable, modular, and mostly visually appealing code. Unfortunately, being a broke high school student at the time, I couldn't afford PBP
, so I never had an opportunity to ponder its advice.
A few years ago, however, I had encouraged a coworker to learn Perl as a good general purpose scripting language. He bought the book during the endeavour, so I finally got my first look at it. I realised that probably something like 75% of the rules were things that I had independently discovered and already been doing, and the other 25% were mostly logical conclusions of the ones I already knew.
My point is, many competent programmers will probably arrive at many of Damien's ``Best Practices''. I personally spent years to get to that point, and would have spent yet more troubling years to arrive at the last 25%. If I had read Conway's book from that start, it would have served as a good bootstrapping process and would have certainly saved me a lot of time and trouble, as it already has.
Like most of you, I use the book as a reference and as sound advice. I don't agree with everything he's written, but most of his rules do have gems embedded in them, even if you don't agree with them.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||