is correct and I think I alluded to that up in my original post. Employees, especially those whom Drucker calls "information workers", take a very long time to get "slotted in" to a new position. Just think how long it takes before you're truly proficient with a new codebase. Now, imagine that what you have to get up to speed on is:
- 150 client relationships (salesperson)
- 200 employees and their families (HR rep)
- 20 applications and their user annoyances (support staff)
- 5 applications and all their environments w/bugs (QA)
- 10 market segments and their needs (marketing)
Factory work, such as the auto industry, doesn't require as long of a ramp-up time, so this kind of system is ripe for abuse there.
Personally, I don't like such a system because it means that I don't have faith in my ability to pair up the right person and the right job. It says "I didn't pick you so much as we randomly came together." As an employee, I preferred it when my employer gave me the "I choose YOU, Pikachu!" feeling about the position. I'd like to do the same as an employer.
My criteria for good software:
- Does it work?
- Can someone else come in, make a change, and be reasonably certain no bugs were introduced?
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
Outside of code tags, you may need to use entities for some characters:
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||