I've been in charge of code reviews at work for about six months now. A few random points:
- Before the code review, the code should be pushed through Perl::Tidy and Perl::Critic according to your internal coding standards. This avoids wasting time arguing about code layout and basic style issues. If you find things in a code review that were not detected by Perl::Critic, see if you can tweak your Perl::Critic policies to find them next time.
- The code review must be in writing. Otherwise, there is no proof it has been performed.
- Most of the code review work should be done before the code review meeting.
- Have at least two code reviewers.
- Take a look a Fagan Inspections. Though probably more formal than you want, you should get some good code review ideas from this well-respected method.
According to Karl Wiegers, the Seven Deadly Sins of Software Reviews are:
- Participants don't understand the review process.
- Reviewers critique the producer, not the product.
- Reviews are not planned.
- Review meetings drift into problem-solving.
- Reviewers are not prepared.
- The wrong people participate.
- Reviewers focus on style, not substance.
Some useful code review links:
Updated 23-June: Added "Seven Deadly Sins of Software Reviews" and associated links.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
Outside of code tags, you may need to use entities for some characters:
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||