After further review, I see you're entirely correct. After reading a lot of the comments, I'd forgotten that the original article was actually sympathetic; and the title is somewhat ironic. But it sure dug up a lot of Perl resentment.
However, I think it is very valuable to listen (or read) critics, for a number of reasons, mainly to find out what bothers people, what misconceptions are out there, and what should maybe be improved.
Here's some not-necessarily representative samples:
- "That's because PERL, even good PERL, looks like an explosion at the punctuation factory compared to a vast majority of other languages."
- "What is worng with you Perl programmers? Does the thought of a newline or indentation, possibly even whitespace fill you with fear and horror?"
- "...nearly all of the perl code I've seen has been virtually indecipherable to anybody not a perl veteran."
- "Slashdot is written in Perl. Whenever a business is mentioned on slashdot, their website goes down. Ergo, Perl is bad for business. "
To be fair, there are lots of good pro-Perl comments posted (at least now) too. Maybe the good news is that 950 people thought it was worth commenting on.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||