A version control system is a stand-alone, fundamental component of a configuration management system that is responsible for the management of individual versions of controlled
files/items, providing the ability to manage versions of controlled item versions, typically involving the...
- Management i.e. creation, update & conditional deletion of item versions
- Support of version branches
- Support for the merging of item versions
- Management i.e. creation, update & conditional deletion of controlled item version labels
Note that the merging of item versions is specific to software configuration control/management systems, the facility is neither required, nor indeed present, in hardware control/management systems.
Note also that the management of item version labels provides the basis for baseline management - in which aggregates of items (& their versions) are managed as enitities in their own right.
I would take issue with CountZero in as much as ... Allows more than one programmer work on the same project ... is not necessarily provided by a version control system, it is known (in the trade) as co-ordination of concurrent development and is a fundamental requirement of any configuration management system.
A user level that continues to overstate my experience :-))
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
Outside of code tags, you may need to use entities for some characters:
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||