Features and facts about Perl that may help your discussion:
- Perl 5.10 was released December 18, 2007 - perhaps not as antiquated as it is made out to be
- Perl is included by default in both Linux and MacOSX distributions which implies both stability and widespread use
- Perl ports are available for many other operating systems
- 18,000 modules available on CPAN (and many of them are very well written, tested, and maintained)
- Ability to include and use C/C++ code and XS modules
- Free for business/enterprise use (compare ColdFusion Pricing)
- More than 20 years of development
- Great defect density (see report)
- Passes the homeland security test (see results)
- ModPerl allows for Apache integration
- Apparently you already have a Perl codebase
Perhaps you could also benefit from a discussion with the manager in question and identify his/her concerns and needs. In the end he/she may just not like Perl, and there may be nothing that you can do to change that (in which case you can either learn ColdFusion or find another source of employment). If this manager has real concerns that can be addressed you may be able to explain how Perl can resolve these concerns.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||