PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org/, see also http://wiki.postgresql.org/)
- BSD license ( ultra-free )
- the pgAdmin (gui) is nice enough; psql, the commandline client, is great.
- *very* active & helpful community; reported bugs often fixed within hours. There is often instant help at #postgresql / freenode.
- SQL:2011 ( see: SQL Conformance )
- ultrareliable: yes
- DBD::Pg (see: DBD::Pg )
Postgres is supported on a wide range of platforms (see the distributed buildfarm status page (which continually tests if compiling is still faultless) - not even all platforms are represented)
SQLite is only good for 1-person use, and then only with limited data size (the SQLite website honestly admits this). It is therefore IMHO not really a serious candidate for the epithet 'database', but YMMV, and you can see from the other replies that opinions vary wildly and widely. SQLite /is/ good for embedded use (which is a usage that postgres does offer).
update: Added mild SQLite bashing & some wordsmithing.
update (2012.10.27): s/SQL:2008/SQL:2011/g;
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||